Tuesday 17 May 2011

Snapshots


Some brief glimpses of life recently. I've stayed true to my plan to work/live in the library, but that doesn't mean I still don't take my camera everywhere I go!

Sadly this means my little camera - the more I use the big guy, the more inadequate the little guy becomes. So sad - but I still love him!

Last Friday, Julia finished her exams and I spread out my work in the BA Kitchens while she celebrated the best way I can imagine - baking!


Julia made Nanaimo Bars - a Canadian specialty apparently.


I definitely approve - they were crumbly digestive biscuit, almond, coconut, cocoa powder base, some kind of custardy, creamy, sugary middle layer (my least favourite part..), and then a chocolate layer on top - all stuck in the fridge and then cut into bars. Delicious.

The same day I received a surprise in the mail!




I have excellent parents :) Inside were M&M's, Reese's Eggs, Peeps, and LOVE!


On Saturday I took a break from the books to celebrate a tried and true European tradition - Eurovision. Vaguely similar to American Idol, except it began in the 50s! Every country in 'Europe' (extremely loosely defined - Azerbaijan won this year..) submits an act and the rest of Europe vote on their favourite. Both ABBA and Celine Dion began their careers with Eurovision! This is now the third year I've watched, and it is great. Some truly terrible songs, costumes, and talents, so we really watch for the spectacle rather than the music. Plus after each country has performed their song, they go through the votes again by country, and the geopolitical dimension of it is amusing. For example, Britain votes for Ireland, Cyprus votes for Greece, Portugal votes for Spain, etc..

Julia brought the Nanaimo Bars out, and by the end of the night I was scraping out the middle layer to get more of the chocolatey bit. :) Naughty naughty, but they are good!


I always cheer for Greece, of course. There they are, slightly blurry..

Plus, a few weeks ago I was harangued into going down to the river to bankparty one of our men's crews for a race. Not such a bad way to spend an hour or two - cycling leisurely up and down the river, watching instead of rowing.. In the end we had a small emergency that resulted in me having to jump into a boat myself and row a 4k race in denim shorts and a t-shirt. Not ideal, but hey.. At least it was sunny..ish.

No photos of me, sadly. Not one of my finest rowing moments in any case so I'm fine with a lack of documentation..



Finally, on Sunday the Student Union Welfare people hosted some kind of relaxation afternoon. I wasn't going to go, but met a friend who was on her way, as I was on my way to (guess where! it starts with L!). So I turned around and just went to see what they had conjured up.


Yes, that is a bouncy castle! Across the river were inflatable Sumo suits - I'm not sure how to describe it.. 


You can vaguely see the people in the massive suits. I think the point is to hit each other with something, but obviously wearing an inflatable sumo suit is unwiedly.. I have no idea, but it was funny to watch from a distance.

And, on that slightly bizarre note..back to important questions like the religious fabric of pre-Islamic Arabia!

0 comments: