Saturday 26 March 2011

GDBO!

Today's the day - the 157th Boat Race. Oxford v. Cambridge, the Championship Course, slightly more than 4 miles, from Putney to Mortlake, on the Thames in London.

The Boat Race is a huge piece of Oxford/Cambridge lore and tradition. First raced in 1829, when Cambridge challenged Oxford, it has been raced almost every year since, and is now a major sporting event, with around 250,000 lining the banks of the Thames to watch.

For the first time, I'm going to be one of them! In my first year, I watched Cambridge lose in an English pub in Paris. In second year, Cambridge lost whilst I was on an airplane. Last year, Cambridge won as I jumped up and down alone in our living room in Cleveland, streaming the BBC on my laptop. This year, I'm going to be there.

I am so so excited to finally get to experience this in person. I'm about to head down to the station to catch the train into London - cameras fully charged and ready to go!

GDBO.



(--- ---- bloody Oxford)

0 comments: