Friday 11 February 2011

Watching History

I was planning on rambling about rowing today, but I have to say something about Egypt. I don't have anything really insightful to add, but this is such an exciting thing to witness.

This afternoon I spent two hours in a class on Nationalism in North Africa. We took a break part way through, and, since we are in the Faculty of Asian & Middle Eastern Studies, obviously started talking about Egypt. We watched videos on youtube, speculated, and chatted.

After class I went to get a book from the library, came back to my room, tried to watch yesterday's Grey's Anatomy, and then started procrastinating on the internet.

After a little while, I checked my facebook. And saw all these statuses about Egypt? So obviously I checked Al Jazeera (English) and caught myself up on the happenings.

Not only is this an incredible moment to witness, but that it coincides with the year in which I will get a degree in Middle Eastern Studies & Arabic just blows my mind.

I don't want to get ahead of things, however, since I really don't know anything about this. All I'm saying is, I feel so lucky to be able to witness this. I have a strange sense of the significance of this moment. I'm laying on my couch watching the BBC live coverage, and I know that I will remember this for the rest of my life. It's not everyday you experience something, a moment's significance that you already know is significant.

I'm not going to spout something about idealism and the promise of the future, because I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm excited to watch. Even more excited to listen to the news in Arabic, because I can understand it!

مبروك إلى الشعب المصري

0 comments: